Friday, March 17, 2017

Friday Frolics: Erotic without sex?

Hey, Friday Folks!

Hope everyone is keeping well...and warm.

We have a longish...okay, I may have rambled a bit in my explanation...question/muse today:

This idea is from something Kurt wrote in one of his answers:

"It's not grounded in anything except the knowledge that sex sells. I have no trouble with that, because I think writers should write what they want and for their own reasons, and readers should read what appeals to them, it's just a shame that the current climate conflates the erotic with sex.

And maybe that's another topic we could address some day."

I love having to expand my vocabulary...conflates - combine (two or more texts, ideas, etc.) into one.

Now this might not be where Kurt was thinking, but I'm wondering...can you have erotic without sex?


Aka

I’m not feeling that sex sells. I get some feedback on my main series that they love the stories in spite of the sex. With my erotic books, maybe I’m just weird. I write what pleases me but can’t seem to take off with other readers. I imagine you could have erotic without sex but I feel like it’s being a tease – build up without the payoff, so to speak.


NOTE:

In conversation with another writer, they shared a piece which I actually can't (copyright and all that) use here. However, it was hotter than hot without any sex. The mood and attention to a kiss was more than was needed. Look for an audiobook "Born Yesterday" author initials TJ.



If you're talking the mainstream erotic then I do believe readers are expecting sex scenes, graphic to differing degrees of the language. However, erotic readings need not have the actual sex, but the lead-up, the emotions...even the sexual act without going for description of the act. It's all you describe a night of passion to a bunch of girlfriends...his touch, smell, your reaction to these. As with anything, it's what you are looking for.




Thank you for dropping over, we appreciate it. Have a fun weekend and hope to you see next week.
 
Remember, if you have a question or anything you want us to muse about just drop me a line at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com
 
Keep Frolicking




No comments: