Friday, January 20, 2017

Friday Frolics: Who to read?


Happy Friday, again.




Any plans (or did anything exciting happen, since we're a little late). Doing any heated reading?

Personally, I don't know who to read when it comes to our HOT genre, but I know who to ask:




I think that a number of writers of erotica do it because they think it's easy and a way to make money, not because they have any interest in erotica as literature. A lot of the assumptions about erotica evolve from the availability of those books, which can be relatively plot-less romps. From my encounters with many of those writers, they aren't even familiar with classic erotica, such as the stories by DH Lawrence, Henry Miller, Anais Nin, or Nabokov. It's not grounded in anything except the knowledge that sex sells. I have no trouble with that, because I think writers should write what they want and for their own reasons, and readers should read what appeals to them, it's just a shame that the current climate conflates the erotic with sex.



As far as recommending an author, Anais Nin immediately comes to mind. She is a wonderful writer of the erotic, and was one of the first female writers of the erotic. Both of her collections of short stories, "Delta of Venus" and "Little Birds" were published after her death. I haven't read Emmanuelle Arsan's novel, "Emmanuelle" though I have a copy and have seen the movie. Usually movies are not as good as the novels, but if the movie is any indicator, I should finally get around to reading the novel. And, that's about it, I guess. Truthfully, I haven't read much erotica or erotic romance, though perhaps I should.


Thank you for dropping over, we appreciate it. Have a fun weekend and hope to you see next week.
 
Remember, if you have a question or anything you want us to muse about just drop me a line at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com
 
Keep Frolicking



No comments: