Friday, November 25, 2016

Friday Frolics: Titles

Happy Friday!


To our Musers in the USA, Happy Thanksgiving and your annual Black Friday shopping (feel free to visit us).

Today we're actually talking titles, hope you join us.




Giving my stories a title is the bane of my writing. Once in a rare while, the title comes before I even start the story, but most of the time, I have to wrack my brains to come up with something. Striking the balance between sensually eye-catching and relevant to the story without being campy and hokey, or a total cliché, can sometimes take longer that writing the story! I'm still trying to figure out a good title for my current work in progress I've nicknamed “The Cop Story”. The best I could come up with was “An Early Morning Surprise”, but every time I look at this title, I cringe. It worked when the story was short an only about the first couple chapters. Once the story unfolded and the characters demanded more than a short story, the initial title wasn't relevant and sounded ridiculous. I'm sure the title will come to me eventually, but the characters rather rudely finished telling their story and evaporated back into the ether without naming their romantic adventure.



I've heard some authors need a title before they can write/finish their story. I tend to find the title after the story is completed. Bonnie and Boris' title had to be simple and set for the collection of short seasonal stories. A quick glance to their intent. When I'm looking at titles, I don't like cheesy ones. You know the ones that try too cute, too groinish. Those tend to be more wham bam thank'em, which is fine, but I also like more story than scene after scene, even if mine may seem that way, my hope is I have enough story and story background to fill in the blank spots for my readers.



Thank you for dropping over, we appreciate it. Have a fun weekend and hope to you see next week.
 
Remember, if you have a question or anything you want us to muse about just drop me a line at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com
 
Keep Frolicking



No comments: