Friday, November 18, 2016

Friday Frolics: Protection or not?

Happy Friday.


Still playing catch-up for November, but as always hoping you're keeping well.

Looking at a serious topic this week, safe sex. We all know the diseases that can be transmitted and we do our best to teach our teens and young adults. But, I don't know about you, there are times I just want to escape and not worry about the safety factors or the logic of anything, especially in my entertainment.

The adult movie entertainment industry argues about the use of protection. I've heard claims of routine testing, but is that enough?

What about our stories? Should our characters use protection? Should we write about it?




I've mentioned it, but have not gone out of my writing way to describe it. Stopping to think about it, I guess I wanted to ignore it and go forward to the fun and lightheartedness of the subject genre. Although, a story idea is forming.



Wellll, none of my characters practice safe sex. I mean, I don't see this as a requirement unless there's some sort of underlying message involved. (I did see a Call for Submissions once where one of the main requirements was for all characters to practice safe sex.) In real life, many people do not, thus I do not feel the need to make it a requirement for my characters to do so. I mean, this is fiction. People, most people - hopefully - realize that in real life safe sex can be, well, safer. They shouldn't allow themselves to be influenced by fictional characters. I hope my response was as clear as mud.



Safe sex in my writing definitely depends on both the period the story is set in, and whether the publisher requires it. If my characters are in a situation where the sex makes sense but they forgot or don't have access to a condom, I make sure they have the conversation about risk and prior partners. Most of my contemporary stories feature protection. The exception is when the relationship had moved into a monogamous phase, and it makes sense for the guys not to need the protection.

Some publishers require stories set after 1985 to feature protection. It is an important message to convey and reinforce to the readers enjoying the sex scenes. I read a story recently where the writer used the condom to help make the character last longer citing less stimulation. It worked well for the storyline, and it promoted safe sex. While I don't think an inflexible rule to require condoms in all novels is necessary, promoting safe and responsible sex in erotica is important.

Thank you for dropping over, we appreciate it. Have a fun weekend and hope to you see next week.
 
Remember, if you have a question or anything you want us to muse about just drop me a line at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com
 
Keep Frolicking



No comments: