Monday, April 11, 2016

Meet Erotic Romance Author, Jo Fenn




Today we're thrilled talking with erotic romance author, 
Jo Fenn.

Name me 3 things readers would find interesting about you.

1-The longest I’ve ever lived in one house since birth was 3 ½ years; the longest I have ever held one job was 4 years (I’m 58). 

2-I’m a yarn bomber, decorating public places with yarn graffiti.

3-I’ve built several houses including straw bale homes.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

Barbara Kingsolver, John Irving, Jo-Ann Mapson, Donald Westlake, Gretel Ehrlich, John D. MacDonald

What motivated you to become a writer and at what age?

I started writing stories when I was in fourth grade.  We moved to a new town every year and I liked trying to write about the new place, things I saw while we were traveling, things I wanted to remember, interesting things I observed in people…

What 3 words describe you as a person?

Creative, positive, willing

What 3 words describe you as a writer?

Sensate, detailed, realistic

When not writing, how do you spend your time? Hobbies?

Hiking, bird watching, reading, creating, exploring, cooking, traveling

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?

A Child’s Garden of Verses, Dr. Seuss books, the Sally, Dick, and Jane series, Stuart Little and Charlotte’s Web, Little Women, A Wrinkle in Time…  I remember loving to read, especially being taken away through the stories to different worlds.

Describe your desk.

I use an oak sewing table with the drawers filled with paper and stationery supplies.  There is an Italian cup on top that holds pens and pencils plus a coaster for my teacup and a small dish for used teabags.  A soft yellow glow covers the desk from a table lamp.  The desk is situated in front of a window that looks out into branches and leaves of a very old apple tree.

Who is the main character?

Heather Young, a 40ish history professor.

What is her story?

She’s a contemporary woman on a career path, trying to get a tenure-track professor position, but has fallen in love/lust with an earthy mechanic.  She finds she will need to make a choice between the two.

Where/when does the story take place?

The story is set in the southwestern United States, in Albuquerque, New Mexico a few years ago.

How did the story come to you?

I wanted to show the struggles that some women go through to pursue careers.  I also wanted to highlight the SW region of the U.S. since it is so rich in culture.  New Mexico has a unique relationship with food which I also wanted to incorporate into a story.  Additionally, I wanted to write something showing how couples from different backgrounds could have a healthy relationship as well as a fun time together.

Who is your target audience?

I wrote this for couples who have fun in their relationships, who are active together.  It’s also for contemporary women who find themselves having to make choices between love and career.  I also had in mind the bowlers in the world who seem to have such fun in a non-mainstream sport/activity. 

What makes your book different from other similar ones?

My characters are not idealized, not perfect.  I think readers can relate to their human flaws.  Also, there is a lot of humor in this book which I think will be appreciated by readers.

What do your fans mean to you?

I love being able to share the worlds I invent with others.  I write for my fans to show them how others deal with similar issues.  When I try to describe a scene or conversation, I have my fans in mind; they are the ones I want to bring into the world I’m creating.

Where do you get the inspirations for your book(s)?

I’m a keen observer of others.  I love humans as well as the natural world.  I return home and write about what I see, what intrigued me, what confused or amazed me.  Also, there are things I would love to do in the world but am either too shy or risk-averse to do, so I invent characters who can live that life, try them out for me.

Any advice for new writers just beginning this trek down the wonderful world of publishing?

Put your writing out there.  There are untold joys when you open your heart.


History professor Heather Young is firmly on her career track from community college adjunct instructor to university tenured professor when along comes Mika—blue collar mechanic and lover extraordinaire. They come from vastly different worlds but it’s not long before Heather is relishing new experiences with her unpretentious man.
When she receives that coveted job offer on her career trajectory, she accepts even though it is in Arizona—six hours away.

Unable to leave New Mexico, Mika plies her with local culinary treats, shared adventures to historical sites, and time camping under the stars in an effort to get her to stay. He ramps up his fervent attentions with progressively more passionate attempts to convince her that she can’t live without him.

Heather meets them with her own endeavors to cement memories of her mechanic into her body, knowing she may never experience anything like this again. All the while, Heather tries to hold back a chunk of her heart by looking for reasons why it would never work, knowing their future is limited. In spite of the ease and passion of their relationship, she feels she must follow her career dream. They strive to stay connected over the distance through occasional visits and time on the phone, but their lives drift apart. As Heather struggles in her new life, memories of Mika continue to tug her body and heart back toward him.

Reviews:

"Hot and Well Written!" 5 stars

"I am a New Mexican~ Jo Fenn has captured the sensual feel of the Southwest. The tastes and smells and tactual sensations of her scenes and characters heighten her erotic intent. Am looking forward to further adventures of the lovers." 5 stars

Three Hundred by Jo Fenn is now available at:





No comments: