Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday Frolics: Sept 18 2015 - Why write this genre?





Hey there!

Friday is here and so is our Friday Frolics. There's something about HOT authors, we're a little quiet and shy (at times).

But have no fear, we're also brave and daring. Today we're talking about why we write this genre. How our HOT writing got started.

So, sit back, relax, and let the heat build.





Why do I write this genre? That's actually a funny question. Until I focused on getting that first contract, I really hadn't given genre much thought (aside from writing paranormal-fantasy-romance). Then I (reluctantly) let the brother of a friend read Soul Bound (I didn't believe my friend when she said it was erotic, had to get more opinions) and...well, let's just say it took him a bit to get through it. He...um...kept getting sidetracked--for lack of a "cleaner" word. Needless to say I was schooled in what the erotic genre was. Lots of heat, skin, steam and...well, you know. I just thought my characters were in love and couldn't keep their hands off each other.

Plus, I'm a rebel and rogue, always accused of being my own person and doing my own thing, so if my mother tells me it's not proper, well...then I'm all over it. ;-)



I got into the "family business" of romance/erotic writing at the suggestion of my two novelist cousins. I'm the third of five first-cousins to write.

While visiting our grandmother, one of the author cousins pushed me to write a short story for a submission call, and after a lot of "oh, come on, I know you can write" prods, I came up with 'Dear Bryan' and sent it off to Ravenous Romance. A month later, it was accepted into an anthology. I was hooked!

Erotic fiction lets me explore a side of myself and my imagination I don't usually have an opportunity to express. It's liberating in a lot of ways, and I've received a positive response from the important people in my life.

Unfortunately, though he whole-heartedly supports my writing, my husband can't read my stories. He starts laughing when he gets to the naughty bits.


I write this genre to fulfill my fantasies…plus it makes me hot.



I wrote Gift Giving Done Right on a dare. Conversations with friends can get silly and when double meanings start the giggles, well, one friend kept teasing I would be writing this genre sooner or later. "Come over to the HOT side." So I tried and Bonnie and Boris were born. I didn't want relationship angst or unsurety or insecurity, they are a couple who love and accept and are comfortable with themselves and their relationship. That's not to say relationships take communications and the whole effort of being present...maybe Bonnie and Boris will share that one story. I'm glad I walk over to the HOT side, there's something freeing about writing under a different name. Something freeing about writing in a genre that is intimate, there's nothing to hide behind. Well, I'm not really hiding, just peeking around a mask and masks can be fun...toodeloo


Many of my stories combine the supernatural with the erotic--neither of which is subject to rational, objective discussion and, for me, are best explored through fiction, which allows the endings to be satisfying with the ultimate answers still vague. Even simple erotica stories that have little purpose than arousing pleasure, make a reader (and the writer too) feel more alive and provide a vicarious taste of lives they'd never care to live on their own, but are curious about. That, my friends, is joyful.




Thank you for dropping over, we appreciate it. Have a fun weekend and hope to you see next week.
Remember, if you have a question or anything you want us to muse about just drop me a line at MuseChrisChat@gmail.com

Keep Frolicking

No comments: