Thursday, June 5, 2014

#MIHBlog ~ SJ Smith ~ Exclusive Author Intro and Interview




Welcome Muse It Hot Readers ;) We are introducing our Muse It Hot authors and also asking a couple interview questions that might be fun to know about them. We’ll be sharing our MIH authors with you as often as we can…promise.

So, for today - please put your hands together for Muse It Hot Author, SJ Smith, who has written an erotic sci-fi / apocalypse story for the Wild Darkness Calls themed call-out. It’s an amazing account of how two women survive for years…and then meet up with a man lost and on the brink of freezing to death. Yep…it’s a page-turnerJ His upcoming release – The Dark Months : ) Let’s hear more about SJ…




Please tell our readers a little about yourself – 5 things most people don’t know about you; )

I live in Wales, which is a small country that sticks out the left hand side of Great Britain.

I’m surrounded by mountains and medieval castles and ancient folklore. The place where Myrddin Emrys – known in popular culture as Merlin the Magician – saw his prophetic vision of the red and white dragons is fifty miles down the road from my house.

Like most other people in Wales, I enjoy watching rugby, arguing about rugby, and drinking beer whilst watching rugby and arguing.

I have been writing as a hobby for twenty-odd years. I love the story telling part, but it’s the craft of turning the first draft into something readable that I’m still getting to grips with.

I must have at least ten unfinished novels sat on my computer waiting to be completed.


Tell us about the genres you write and what or who inspired you to write it.

I try not to limit myself to genres. If I think it’s a good story then I’ll attempt to write it, whether it’s set in outer space, a paranormal world or an ordinary town just like the one I live in. I also think that no matter how fantastical the setting, you always need the solid grounding of reality to make the strangeness seem especially strange.

My favorite writers are James Ellroy, Irvine Welsh and Hunter Thompson. All three are brilliant, audacious, challenging and shocking. I like to have my mind blown when I read a book and these guys have that in spades.


What’s your favorite movie? Why?

Brazil. It’s a stark warning about a future where humanity is being swallowed up by faceless bureaucracy and tied in knots by red tape and meaningless rules, and it seems to be coming more and more true by the year. I love it – it ticks all the boxes for me.


What’s your favorite TV series? Why?

Family Guy. It makes me laugh a lot.


Where would you like to go for a week with a group of friends and why?

I like Amsterdam. It’s nice to go somewhere that you can behave like you’re a grown up, and not have some gimp in a suit constantly looking over your shoulder wanting to control your life.


Tell us a few ways ideas have come to you.

Just recently a lot of my dirtier ideas have come from looking at dirty pictures. It’s like, who is this person and how did they come to be there, doing this thing they’re doing with that other person? The story kind of builds from there. I’m not sure whether it’s a result of having an overactive imagination or it’s simply my inherent nosiness.


Favorite author you read as a kid?

Tolkien


What’s your favorite thing about writing?  Least favorite?

My favourite thing is the story itself. Once you start writing and get into the zone, you’re seeing it in front of your eyes and it becomes a very similar experience to reading a book and getting lost in the plot.

My least favourite thing is the barrier that this process seems to put up between myself and everyone else. I find myself twenty minutes into a conversation with someone I care about, yet haven’t heard a word they’ve said because my mind has drifted away into story world. This tends to get on people’s nerves.

I’m also very conscious of the ‘looking like a dick’ phenomenon: Your head gets so full of the story that you just want to tell other people about it. But of course, no one else is really interested in your fragmented, nonsensical ramblings. To you it’s everything, but to them it’s just that annoying hobby you have - the one that causes you to be away with the fairies half the time and talking rubbish on the odd occasion you bother to open your mouth. Plus it’s very easy to start sounding pretentious.




What’s your burning question for your readers?

I don’t actually have any readers as yet. If I ever managed to acquire any, I’d probably ask them how far did they want to go? Do they want to be led up to the line in the sand and left to make up their own minds about whether they take the plunge, or do they want to be dragged kicking and screaming into the unknown? But again, this all sounds very pretentious, so I’ll stop.


List your links (website, FB, Twitter, Blog, etc.)

Twitter – SJSmith  @sjsmithauthor




The Dark Months

Wild Darkness Calls Themed Story

After the apocalypse, two women, Kim and Calla, have survived for years surrounded by a bleak wilderness. The last night before closing their home for the dark frozen months of winter, Calla finds a stranger, lying face down in the snow…a man. She’d never seen a man.

Kim disapproves of rescuing him. He’ll only be dangerous trouble.
Calla’s curiosity peaks, and she hauls him into their house for the dark months.

Will he be a danger, or something much deeper?

Release: Hopefully out in October 2014.


SPECIAL NOTE: If you like this post, please consider spreading and sharing through your favorite social networkJ



2 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Love your burning question - led through the sand or tugged along kicking a screaming - hmmm - I actually like both scenarios as long as the ending leaves me satisfied...happily ever after or amazingly happy for now: )

I'd love to camp out in your neighborhood to write - how breathtakingly lovely...it would take me a while to stop staring at the view and get to writing though. Sounds beautiful!

Thomas Briar said...

Hi SJ,

Your story sounds very interesting. Looking forward to reading it.

As for the line in the sand...Lines were meant to be crossed, willingly. Yeah, I'm one of those people who has to see what's over there.

Good Luck on finding more readers.