Monday, June 16, 2014

#MIHBlog - Jo Fenn - Exclusive Author Intro and Interview




Welcome Muse It Hot Readers ;) We are introducing our Muse It Hot authors and also asking a couple interview questions that might be fun to know about them. We’ll be sharing our MIH authors with you as often as we can…promise.

So, for today - please put your hands together for Muse It Hot Author, Jo Fenn, who has written an erotic contemporary outdoor adventure tale for the Wild Darkness Calls themed call-out. Here’s a bit of her erotic nature adventure: In pursuit of ecological information, Professor Anderson becomes the prey of nature as she moves deeper into the Dark Forest. 

You’ll never look at hiking as a mere nature adventure after this one: )

Check out her upcoming release – The Dark Forest set to release Fall/Winter 2014: ) Let’s hear more about Jo…





Please tell our readers a little about yourself – 5 things most people don’t know about you; )

I was born in the backseat of a car.  Not really, but it felt like that since I moved more than twenty times within seven different states before I left home at age sixteen.

I worked at a lumber yard helping to build trusses the summer I was 12.  They didn’t hire girls so I passed as a boy.

I speak Spanish but can’t whistle.  It’s a serious handicap living in Mexico and not being able to whistle.

Cat and dog hair skeeves me.

When I was little I wanted to be a showgirl dancer or a firefighter when I grew up.


Tell us about the genres you write and what or who inspired you to write it.

I write erotica, contemporary fiction, memoir, and articles on environmental and social justice issues.  Moving so much as a child, I turned to books for entertainment and friendship.  I was often the outsider so developed a soft spot in my heart for those less fortunate (thus the social justice articles) and for our beleaguered planet.

Reading a well-crafted sentence moves me deeply and I strive to affect readers similarly with my words.


What’s your favorite movie? Why?

My mother was a movie buff and I must have seen Singing in the Rain twenty times with her.  I love the humor and the dancing in the story, plus sharing lines with my mom so I’ll select this one in her honor.


What’s your favorite TV series? Why?

Since I’ve never owned a TV, this would seem like a tough question to answer, but my friends have made sure I’ve seen quality shows over the years.  I like the British cooking series Two Fat Ladies for the settings, their humor, and the food.  The writing and character development in West Wing are exceptional and have been instructional for me as a writer.  And then there’s the classic Sex and the City which I like for the humor and insights around sex and relationships.


Where would you like to go for a week with a group of friends and why?

There are 840 species of birds in Costa Rica!  I’d love to go there with my bird watching buddies.


Tell us a few ways ideas have come to you.

I love watching people, especially unusual folks.  I do quick character sketches then later work those up, putting different types together in various scenarios.  Also, when I see someone who excites me, I imagine what it would be like with him or her and let the story evolve from there.


Favorite Holiday? 

Thanksgiving – I love cooking, eating, gathering with friends, and being thankful.


Favorite Male Movie star? 

Brian Dennehy


Favorite Female Movie star? 

Juliette Binoche


Favorite author you read as a kid?

Oh so many… Madeline L’Engle, Louisa May Alcott, Betty Smith, Beverly Cleary, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Jane Austen, John D. MacDonald…


What’s your favorite thing about writing?  Least favorite?

Favorite – I love when I am able to observe something then capture it in words so that it comes to life for others.
Least – I’d have to agree with Meg Amor and say it’s writing the synopsis to a novel or story.  How is it possible to condense so much into a few paragraphs?





What’s your burning question for your readers?

What balance of sex versus story do you like?  Or, when does the background overtake the erotic nature of the story? 
What makes a sex scene one-handed reading for you? 






The Dark Forest  (Cover not available...yet:)

By Jo Fenn

College professor Bette Anderson hikes into the Dark Forest of central Arizona with the intention of doing reconnaissance work for her upcoming natural history field trip, but quickly realizes that she has become the object of study and pursuit. 

She sees signs that something unusual is happening that she can’t identify.  Her fear grows as she glimpses possibilities of a stalker, but she presses on chalking up her worries to an active imagination. 

The deeper she enters into the forest, the more she loses perspective while a summer storm churns and darkens the world around her. 

Bette’s priorities vacillate from gathering information to getting out safely with a pursuer hot on her trail…

Coming to you in the Fall/Winter 2014



SPECIAL NOTE: If you like this post, please consider spreading and sharing through your favorite social networkJ

   

8 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Hi Jo:) For your burning question for readers - as I'm an avid erotic romance reader - it actually depends on my mood (which might sound like a cop-out) - but I like books with lots of emotional set-up, an evolving relationship before some excellent explicit sex scenes...and sometimes, well, I want the relationship, but there can be lots of sex, it can actually evolve from that initial sex scene. It all has to do with the mood I'm in - I read all kinds of erotic romance stories...I do love happy ever after or happy for now endings though...just make me all gooey inside: )

Jo Fenn said...

Hi Kay Dee,

Thanks for your input. I guess I’ll just have to keep writing stories both ways. :-) My own mood shifts back and forth, as well. I usually have several stories going at the same time plus there are characters who keep running through my head. I’m a tragic romantic and love a happy ending or at least a happy for now. Why not create worlds where good things prevail?

Kay Dee Royal said...

Mostly I write what I want to read at the time...or so it seems.

I agree with you - why not create worlds where good things prevail - it feels like that's my purpose in writing:)

Jo Fenn said...

I don't remember the exact quote, but E.B. White said that he writes because he loves the world. I feel the same way. The world and its people fascinate me and I try to show its wonderfulness to readers.

Reader with Blue Eyes said...

What balance of sex versus story do you like? I cannot image the people in a sexual tryst without knowing where they are and how they got there. Love making doesn't happen with one floating in the skies - at least not yet. I want to know that the mattress is lumpy or the headboard wobbles which challenges the couple's performance, but not that there are dust kitties under the bed. The right details give me the taste of the action. Yes, and bring in all the sensory details.


What makes a sex scene one-handed reading for you? People who are real in believable situations. Couples who believe that pleasure is possible and are enjoying each other. Small sensory details that I might have experienced or want to try next time.

Thanks for a delightful story!

Jo Fenn said...

Hey Blue Eyes,

Thank you for your responses to my questions. Your imagery makes you sound like a fellow writer. I strive for that level of specificity, too, but worry about going overboard and losing the reader. I'll keep your answers in mind for future stories. Yes, the small sensory details do bring a story to life - the smells, sounds, how something feels along the skin.

I agree that a believable premise and a detailed background help me fall into the story. Then I can go along for the ride without my logical mind saying, but what about...

Thanks!

Blue Eyed Swede said...

I agree that carefully setting up the details initially, allows the reader to abandon any previous niggling thoughts that might get in the way of full immersion into the story. After that, it's on! Then its up to the writer as to whether it gets into the one-handed category or not. I like the premise of your protagonist getting stalked in the wild. It promises to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Jo Fenn said...

Hey Swede,

I'm glad you like the promise of my story. Let me know what you think once you read it. :-)