Friday, January 10, 2014

Anything Goes with Kay Dee Royal - Richard Burns Interviewed



I had the pleasure of interviewing Muse It Hot erotic romance author Richard Burns…and also had the pleasure of reading Sweet Chocolate’s First Taste (which is the book we’re dissecting here – so you’ll get your own taste of what it’s about, enough to maybe buy it and read & review it for yourselves ;)

Here’s the scoop on Richard…

Retired from the US Army in 2010, former Chicago Police Officer and also retired Federal Agent, both in Chicago & Detroit.

Veteran of Middle East, 1984
Afghanistan, 2003, 2009 and present day

Graduate of the University of the State of New York, Albany, NY
Married, father of five and Grandfather to four

Author of “Sweet Chocolate's First Taste,” and “Say Good Night.”
Also the author of the yet to be released, “Into Darkness Eternal.”


Now that you’ve gotten the goods on Richard…let’s talk about his stories…specifically Sweet Chocolate’s First Taste


Title and Genre of your book (include any tags that describe it):

Sweet Chocolate's First Taste is an Erotic story, but it really is so much more than that.  I'll tell people the nuts & bolts of the story and they start to roll their eyes.  But this story is really so much more!!!  This is actually a much more romantic story than you've bargained for.  And for $1.99?  You won't find a better, more satisfying story anywhere!  Tags:  first time; interracial; younger man-older woman; prostitute; virgin.


Please tell us how the idea came to you for Sweet Chocolate's First Taste. Please include all the fun details.

          I saw a call for submissions, actually, two.  One was calling for erotic stories about your first sexual experience.  The second was calling for erotic stories that featured strong black women.  “How about that?!  I've got those stories, and it's the same story!”

          I thought, “I can do this.  I can submit the same story to two publishers and see if anybody bites.  Well, Simon & Schuster was the winner!  And I've been plugging away at it ever since. 

          Now everybody wants to make fun of this genre, but I'm here to tell you, everybody reads it, to some degree, in some variation!  Personally, I love what it does to my reader.  How it changes their physiology, how their breathing gets heavy, their pulse quickens, perhaps they turn to their spouse and give them 'the look.'  And everybody knows that look!

          It all begins with a look, then a touch, then he's feeling you up while you're doing the dishes, then it's off to the bed room.  All very good things, I think.


What drives, motivates, and/or inspires Columbus, Georgia or North Tarry Town, New York?

          Well, “Sweet Chocolate's First Taste,” is based on a true story, although it's sold as fiction.  So the lead character would be myself, while Trisha is obviously Trisha.  Since it's based on an actual event, the setting and time were all true to fact.  So not a lot of imagination was used in that.

          In the late 70's, Columbus Georgia was a dreary, pretty grimy, GI town consisting mostly of tattoo parlors, pawn shops and strip clubs.  All starving for the GI dollar.  Not really a very romantic setting, but I do what I can with it.  Simon & Schuster said that they wanted Character development, a beginning, a middle, and an end, plus they had a 4,000 word ceiling!
 
          They wanted a lot for 4,000 words!  But, I was able to pull it off.


          Personally, I think character development is key.  I want my reader to respect and even fall in love with, a little bit, with them too.

          In my upcoming release, “Into Darkness Eternal,” my brother was my inspiration to be the hero in that story while Maggie, the heroine or love interest, was based on a friend of mine in Charlottesville, VA.  Almost all of my characters have some basis in fact.  Come to think of it, every single one of them does.

          First, I've had this fascination with the story, “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” probably since I was 10 years old.  And I just happen to be very familiar with the area.  The location, is what used to be called, North Tarry Town, NY.  I really loved that whole Hudson Valley area of NY and used to take long weekends there when I was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. 

          I was looking to expand my horizons a little bit and decided that I would take a shot at the horror genre.  When I saw the call for submissions, the rest was serendipity.  Naturally, that's not enough.  So I had to make it a Romantic-Horror, a rather steamy & spicy story at that.  Because if it isn't blistering HOT!!!  Then I didn't write it.

          Now since the TV Series, “Sleepy Hollow,” was due to air in just a week or two, it was important I get my submission in first!  So any similarities, would be strictly coincidental.  And I did!  And there are similarities, but I was FIRST!!!


What are Rick's, or Mike's or Maggie's jobs? What do they  do for a living?

          Well, I'm originally from Chicago, but I live in the Detroit area now.  So naturally, in “Sweet Chocolate's First Taste,” Rick (ME) is from Chicago.  And in “Into Darkness Eternal,” Mike is also from Chicago (amazingly since he is my brother), and Maggie is naturally from Charlottesville, VA

          Now as for occupations: 
Sweet Chocolate's First Taste;  Rick is a Soldier just about ready to finish his Infantry training.

Into Darkness Eternal;  I didn't want my characters to just run through the woods screaming only to die grovelling at the feet of some monster, so I made them both pretty tough!

          Mike & Maggie both, while college students, are Cadets at West Point and both of them Combat Veterans.  Mike from Afghanistan and Maggie from Iraq.  This isn't your average horror story.  My characters will not “go gently into that good night!”


Give us some insight into Trisha. What’s a bit of her back story?

          Essentially, in “Sweet Chocolate's First Taste,” he is me, so he was a boy scout and an altar boy at one time and was a little intimidated by pretty girls.  And yes, that all comes out pretty clear in the story, I think.

          Now, as to Trisha's back story?  We never had any conversations in her direction.  I never asked, although now I'm sorry I didn't.  I would've liked to have known more about her.  Now if I had to guess, she was so well spoken, sure she had an accent, but she clearly did not think with one.

          Just guessing, she was probably a widow from Vietnam.  Married to a Soldier who was Killed in Action in Vietnam, and with no active duty sponsor, she lost her on post housing and was trying to get by with no marketable skills, as best she could.  Perhaps she was a college student who decided to graduate with no student loans.


Tell us what Rick first means to Trisha?

          Excellent question!  I've never really thought about it too much before.  I think that Trisha sees in Rick, a blank canvass.  A clean slate upon which she create a kind, gentle and giving lover and a Gentleman.  I think that she was also quite taken with being Rick's first time, and that she could see just how taken with her, he was, that she was a little flattered by it.

          I also think that she was also aroused at the idea of being Rick's first time.  Perhaps she saw herself as a Temptress, or a seductress.  I don't know if the racial aspect played into the eroticism of her moment, but it certainly did into his.  The contrast in colors, in characters, background, everything.  They couldn't possibly have been more different.  As different as Black & White.

          Looking back on that moment right now, I can remember how vivid the colors were:  Our skin, her lip stick, my light blue shirt, my jeans, her white dress with pink & red little flowers, her shiny raven black hair. 


Who is Trisha to Rick? Can you give us a bit about the first time they meet each other?

          Well, first off, the whole story is about their first and only meeting and Trisha is to Rick perhaps the most benevolent and understanding woman he'd ever met.  Now of course, it would have to be a stranger for his first time.  So there was no judgment, no preconceptions, no broken hearts.  He would want it to be distant, unemotional, contractual, if you will.  But it doesn't turn out that way at all.

          Why?  Because it wasn't just contractual.  She was so much more than just a hooker.  She was a woman through and through.  Every fiber of her being, she was a desirable, sexually confident woman.  As strong as they come.  A real professional.  And we all know, there is NO Substitute for professionalism.


Can you tell us about the abilities of Rick & Trisha? How do they help OR hinder?

          While Rick is just a novice at the subject at hand, I think that he is the perfect vehicle to bring out Trisha's caring and, if you will, her feminine loving tender side.  She is sympathetic to our main character's situation and is willing, ready and able to help him through an extremely nervous event.


Why this location? Anything in particular in real-life that made you select it?

          The setting is the setting.  It really happened in Columbus, Georgia and the motel was a real dump on Victory drive.  Hell, they all were!  If I was to pick another location, given the subject, I guess I would've set it at a New Year's Party, at a friends house where a game of spin the bottle got just that perfect sort of “out of hand.”

          But it is what it is.


Is Sweet Chocolate's First Taste included in a series? If so, what series and can you give us titles and a tagline for other books in this series?

          No, it's a stand-alone piece.  Although, it is in Simon & Schuster's “Chocolate Flava 3,” an Erotic anthology written specifically for Black women.


Which scene was your favorite to write? Can you share a little of it?

Sure.  It was this scene right here...

          Her eyes suddenly became less guarded and while she chewed on her lower lip, I watched as her smile slowly grew into a beaming fountain of light. She turned to face me, leaning back, offering me her chest.
My heart was pounding so loud, I thought for sure she could hear it. But my desire managed to override my anxiety. With my right hand, I took one of those glorious breasts. It filled my hand to overflowing. First Contact! Oh dear God… As my breathing became deeper, I began to gently squeeze her breast, quickly consumed by the fantastic twins. My face was only a foot away from them… I was amazed by the warmth of her moist skin and how easily my pale white fingers sank into her dark softness. I was surprised at just how long her nipples were and they were still growing. I reveled in her breasts, their heavenly weight, and the contrast of black and white as my fingers pressed into her flesh. I placed my left hand on her stomach and just felt her breathe for a moment. Yep, she’s real.
Trisha took my left hand and slowly moistened my fingertips with her tongue. Oh dear God! How arousing. She slowly pushed my hand south, through her curls, down to her center. “Do you feel that, Rick? That little nub? That’s my clitoris. Just keep stroking it, like this…” she said, as she guided my fingers. She closed her eyes and embraced the sensation. Almost imperceptibly, she brought her hand to the half-hard root between my legs and stroked me. Gradually, while my organ grew in length, girth and strength, I felt her clitoris swell to what felt like four or five times its original size. Soon, it was at least a half inch in length.
Then after a minute, “A little faster,” she instructed me.
Then, after another minute, “Now…stay gentle, now…a little harder…oh…oh…oh, that’s it…” she gasped.
Her hips began to undulate against my fingertips. Could that be because of me? I kept my palm against that thin strip of hair, while her hips seemed to move independently of the rest of her. They swayed and turned, twisting and pressing against my fingers on my left hand. Her hands came up to her breasts, her fingers guided my right hand showing me where she wanted more attention. Instructing me when and with what pressure she wanted me to squeeze, when and where to pinch, and how lightly or how firmly. When she opened her eyes again, I noticed there were gold flecks in her irises which added depth to her face and an intensity to her smile. Her smooth, deep dark skin glowed. Her face was radiant. If the eyes really are the mirror to the soul…what does this say about her soul?
In the warmth of that humid Georgia night, the temperature seemed to climb by ten degrees, as anxiety gave way to lust. Desire rose within me, consumed me, and filled the room to bursting capacity. Tiny beads of sweat began to form on the finest hairs of her skin between her breasts. I watched while the twins rose and fell with such delicate grace. She took a deep breath expanding her diaphragm. They were so…breathtaking. Captivating. Her nipples seemed almost painfully hard now and her gorgeous body seemed to shimmer and shine with a fine sheen of sweat. My hands glided over her smooth, moist skin.
“Do you like my tits?” she asked, almost breathless. I loved that she called them “tits,” the same way guys do.
“They’re beautiful. Better than I would’ve ever imagined.”
“They like you, too,” she said, arching her back slightly, firmly pressing her breast into my hand. Seductively she lowered a knee, opening her thighs, and closing her eyes. Her white teeth caught her succulent red painted lower lip. I could see the tip of her tongue, as she closed her eyes and slowly rolled her head from side to side. From shy to seductive? So alluring!
When the breath caught in her throat, she paused while her hips seemed to pulse. Then she groaned quietly and froze. Eventually, with my hands still in place, I felt her breathe again.
Finally, she opened her eyes fully and said, “Let me do something for you. Here,” she said as she sat up and slid from under my hands.
          “Just lean back,” she guided. I slid further up the bed and took her place at the headboard as she lowered herself to the floor between my legs.


Please share anything else about this story you’d like ~ maybe a difficult scene or character ~ someone or something not cooperating…

          I was approaching age 50 when I wrote this story and looking back on it from the advantage of age, I now have a much greater appreciation for what she did with me.  I now know that a prostitute's life is a hard one and time is money and money is the motivation.  She was considerably older than me and she fully understood these things while I never even considered them.

          Ever since I wrote this story, I have thought so long and hard about her, wondering whatever came of her, how she got her start, etc.  Well, this one's for you, Trisha!


What are you working on now?

          I wrote a fictionalized account of my 2009 tour of duty in Afghanistan, with the 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), entitled “Say Good Night,” and it was well received by all who read it.  So, now that I find myself back here again, with the same unit, it only seems natural that I should get started on a sequel.

          Time has been at a premium lately, though!


Would you share your writing schedule OR the best time of day / week to focus on writing?

          For me, the best time to write in late in the day through the early afternoon.  However, I've had jobs on the midnight shift before, where I have specifically focused all of my down time in that direction.  Naturally, I DON'T recommend this!!!  If you are being paid by an employer, you should do the job that you have been hired to do.  That said, I have cheated from time to time.

          And with THAT Said, I guess Midnights works pretty well for me too!


Where is your best place to find readers?

          So far, I've only found them in ones & twos!  Of course, my sales numbers reflect that too!  I'm afraid I'm not the one to ask that question since I'm still trying to build my reader base.


What tip or advice would you give to an aspiring author?

          COME ON IN!!!  The Water's Warm!!!  Look, I am a firm believer that everybody has a book in them they want to write, wish they wrote, think about from time to time, etc.  Well, let me tell you:  They don't write themselves!  Get started!

          I always have difficulty getting started, but once I do, within ten minutes, I always say to myself, “What were you afraid of?”  Get started!


Where can we find you? List all of your links.

          You can always find me at: http://www.RichardBurnsBooks.com   or   at: http://www.MostEroticBooks.com 


Quickie Quiz
       Getting to know Richard Burns…

2 Things you do to relax: 1).  Music  2).  Read

Favorite movie: Casablanca, (Yes, I'm know I'm dating myself, but it's a much better movie than Generation X will Ever know!!!  There's virtually no violence, no nudity (not that I'm opposed to that), no computer graphics, special effects, nothing!

It's just all good acting, good script and good casting!  I really love how Claude Raines, who was probably supposed to be a bit part, minor character, almost steals the show from Boggie!

Cat or Dog or other: Both!  But probably leaning more toward dogs

Favorite places to write:          My Desk, in my office

Place you’ve always wanted to go, but haven’t: Ireland

Breakfast drink: Virgin Mary  (Non-Alcoholic Blood Mary)

Favorite season ~ why: WINTER!!!   Yes, I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I think it's because all of my favorite memories from Childhood took place during winter.

What are your hobbies /past times (besides writing): Photography, Camping, SCUBA Diving, Long Distance Running

Car OR Plane: Car, the scenery is better and getting there really is an adventure!

Favorite Writing tool: The External-Cordless Keyboard!!!

Favorite Novel: “Heat of Ramadan,” by Steve Hartov

Favorite Author: William Shakespeare

Beverage: Coffee

Time of Day/Night: Probably Mornings.




Sweet Chocolate’s First Taste
Blurb:
A young white soldier has his first sexual encounter.  The racial kettle of the southern US in 1979 is at a constant simmer.  And just how good can a hooker be, when it’s just another day’s work?  Or is there no substitute for professionalism?

Short Excerpt of Sweet Chocolate’s First Taste

Columbus, Georgia: April 1979

I was training as an Infantryman in the U.S. Army at North Harmony Church, Fort Benning, Georgia. I was just seventeen years old and regrettably at the time, still a virgin. We were two weeks from graduation, and my buddies, Ed Bristol and Juan Garcia, took a weekend pass to visit Columbus, Georgia. A typical GI town of the late ‘70’s, Columbus offered an endless collection of strip joints, tattoo parlors, and pawn shops. They catered to young inexperienced soldiers, like me, from Tinytown, Kansas; Nowhere, Oklahoma; and Jerkwater, Nevada.

We checked into a cheap, dreary motel near the cornucopia of strip joints, eager for our weekend of fun and freedom. Juan left “for supplies,” while Ed and I unpacked. It was a dump on Victory Drive. Threadbare carpets, thin walls, thin drapes, and even thinner towels that felt as comfortable against your skin as twenty grit sandpaper.

I would say it was clean, but the roaches would probably take offense. We were watching one of those pathetic ‘70’s sitcoms when Juan abruptly returned. Grinning, he immediately began unbuttoning his shirt. Following Juan was a surprisingly beautiful black woman. I was caught completely off guard.

She closed the door behind her. I watched intently, as her breasts swayed and jiggled slightly, ever so delicately. Her eyes were downcast as if she was embarrassed. She followed Juan into the room. At the sight of us her eyes went wide and she gave a shrug of her shoulders and a tip of her head, as if to say, “Oh well…” To me, it all said: bashful.

Instantly, I was captivated, and a little intimidated by both her age, almost thirty, and her luscious beauty. The woman—and she was a real woman, not a kid—had a pleasant round face with high cheek bones that gave it depth. She was tall, but still several inches shorter than my six feet, but I was struck by her very dark, coffee brown complexion, which seemed at odds with her flowing, shiny curls of gorgeous shoulder-length hair.

My palms were sweaty at the thought of getting them on her beautiful, perfectly proportioned breasts. Those breasts seemed to call to me, with each sway and bounce. Her soft white cotton dress fit her form sensationally, hugging her upper body alluringly, accentuating the breadth of her torso before tapering down to her narrow waist, then loosely flowing over the graceful, but sweeping curve of her hips.

My arms wanted to encircle that narrow waist, to lay my hand atop that scrumptious, perfectly developed ass, and then just pull her body to mine. To press our chests and hips together, to meld into a single being; to feel her softness pressed against my hardness. To feel the slope and curve of her back as those glorious breasts pressed against my chest. She was perhaps the most beautiful black woman I had ever met. All of these thoughts vanished quickly with my growing anxiety at my impending moment.

Still frantically undressing, Juan said, “Hey guys, I need the room for a while.”



Book Review by Kay Dee Royal
Sweet Chocolate’s First Taste
Author: Richard Burns
Genre: Short Erotica
Publisher: Muse It Hot Publishing
First Sentence: I was training as an Infantryman in the U.S. Army at North Harmony Church, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Review:
Rick, seventeen and a virgin, gets a weekend pass from Army training. He and a couple buddies spend a little money for a night of blissful lust with a sexy black woman.
Trisha spends some time with three Army boys, but one of them requires extra attention and care as a special first time treat.
What can a woman do to a man to satisfy his initiation and first taste of chocolate? Hmmm…
Mr. Burns creates a boy that becomes a man in one evening, from shy to sly, in protagonist, Rick. Told in his first person point of view, it brings the story up front and personal. That’s the charm and the hook.
Trisha comes across warm and understanding as well as amazingly sexy…quite the pick for a first time experience.
Sizzling hot and short – two things I love in a story that includes a satisfying ending. I enjoyed reading Mr. Burns’ story. A nice night time read before bed :) So, if you’re looking for a short read that blows you away in a sensual steamy scene, this is it.


SPECIAL NOTE: If you liked this post, please consider spreading and sharing it through your favorite social networkJ

No comments: