Friday, September 20, 2013

#MIHBlog - Writing, Adjustment, and Daily Life by Alix Richards



As a writer, I expect to run into problems with time. Especially since, I have five children, a husband, and grandson. I used to believe what my mother and others said about my writing, by that I mean, finding the time among family duties. Sadly, I admit, there wasn’t ever enough time in a day for me to write. Family won, writing lost. It wasn’t until my children grew older I realized I had fallen into the same trap many stay-at-home moms (and dads) do. I didn’t know what to do with myself anymore, because children didn’t need me in the same capacity as they used to. By that, I mean, they fixed their own meals, washed their own clothes and so on. Don’t get me wrong, I still did/do a LOT for my children, but those duties no longer required my full attention as they had before.

For the longest time, I used to jot notes, ideas, and short stories down in the dark of night. Nothing long, always after I’d completed those annoying daily chores. I did my duty by my children and later my husband, but the writer in me was always set aside. Even when all I wanted to do was sit down and write until the characters left me alone. I couldn’t, because there was no time for the frivolousness that writing was considered.

It took a while before I learned I was a writer, I am a writer.

When the time came (finally!), I couldn’t stop. I believe I sat at the computer for almost four days straight. Getting up long enough to stretch and fix dinner. I remember, laying down for a total of two hours each night. I just could…not…stop…writing. It was as if something had taken hold and wouldn’t let go until I got down every detail. When it was all over, I had completely written six stories (approx. 75K each) and was half way through a seventh one and six weeks had passed. Needless to say, I learned, really quick, who I was at heart. I was a writer.

That was all back in 2008. Fast forward, children have grown more, I no longer have young children, but I do have a grandson now whom I babysit. Another adjustment is underway and let me tell you it’s not as easy as it was when I was younger. However, this time I have obligations outside my family. Marketing my published books, blog posts, as well as finding the time to keep writing and submitting, among other things. Where then the babies were mine, this time the baby is my daughter’s. As much as I love cuddle time with my grandson, I miss my computer. He has learned how to get my attention when I’m there. It’s adorable and so cute I can’t stay upset for long.

I’ve learned I am at heart and soul a writer, and I love it!

So, how have you adjusted to the writing life?

Alix Richards

Where fantasy and reality collide...






Twin Flames: Soul Bound from MuseItUp Publishing http://tinyurl.com/98c4j9s




Twin Flames: Soul Memory from MuseItUp Publishing http://tinyurl.com/b73cw6c

Twin Flames: Soul Destiny coming winter 2013/2014

Twin Flames: Soul Design coming spring 2014


Twin Flames: Soul Nature coming summer 2014







2 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Alix, thanks for sharing your story...always good to hear how other authors cope...being a writer looks easy, but I swear it's so much harder than a 9 - 5:00 as far as staying focused and alleviating distractions and interruptions.

Something about being at home, people (mostly family) believe you have time for anything and everything during the day... The thing is, I've been that person for years...now setting boundaries and it helps, if I can get rid of the guilty feeling for not performing as others 'need' me to;)

AND I do know that I'm doing it to myself;)

Alix Richards said...

I've heard other writers ask the same questions, how do you find the time, how do you deal with the guilt. I think we all have that moment of adjustment and finding time. :-)

It does look easy. Everyone says so. Unless you're the writer. Then you realize the struggle it entitles. You really do have to be focused and truly studious. LOL

Oh the guilt! It took 1500 miles before I was able to get rid of the guilty feeling of taking care of my writer wants and needs. Every now and again it pops up, but not as often as when my family was within driving distance. :-) My children and hubby helped with my personal guilt when they told me they wanted me to chase my dream of becoming a published author. And I've learned to work my family schedule with my writing one. Every so often the two mix and mingle, dancing along they leave me frustrated, but as always I figure it out. LOL