Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Naked Truth Interview with Erotic Romance Author, Alix Richards


Welcome back to the Muse it HOT blog. It is Wednesday again, which means I have another interview to share with you. This week, my guest is the fantastic, Alix Richards. Alix has been kind enough to let me pick her brain a bit. Pull up a chair while we talk writing, inspirations and nonsense.

Thanks so much for coming by today, Alix. I wanted to start off with some questions for you about writing. Your process and rituals -- I am always fascinated by how other authors operate. My college Pysch teacher would be so proud :P

Bex: We'll start with a nice easy one -- it's early still. Are you a pantser or a plotter? 

Alix: I’m a pantser. I’ve tried repeatedly to plot storylines out and make maps and outlines and what I’ve found is, the way my imagination works, that doesn’t work for me. My brain thinks I’ve already written the story if I add too much information. Now, I can jot notes down, like in the car when an idea strikes me, but I have to be careful what I add. Example: One word will represent a whole scene, or the entire plot. It’s a pain at times, but I’ve been doing this for decades. Guess you could say I’m used to it.

Bex: I wish I could do that more often. Like a creative shorthand. Do you have any writing rituals or special processes you complete before sitting down to write? 

Alix: Depending on when I’m sitting down to write (aka morning, afternoon or night) it varies. I do light scented candles or incense and I prep my playlist, if there’s one for the story I’m working on. I’ll make sure I have something to drink and be dressed comfortably. You know, the norm when it comes to sitting in place for long periods of time.

Bex: What authors inspire you? 

Alix: Authors that inspire me? Hmmm? There are many. In the beginning, it was Stephan King and then Cassie Edwards with her Native America books, the Savage Series. The first paranormal stories by Maggie Shayne and eventually moved onto Angela Knight and Heather Graham. As an adult and published author Sherrilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan. Honestly, there are many, many more for varying inspirations. Cassie Edwards, from the Native American point instead of the white man. The others following with their bucking of traditional romance and alpha dominance. The fact that they wrote both hero and heroine POV’s when in the beginning it wasn’t the norm.

Bex: Some great names in that list. Heather Graham is a favorite of mine as well. Time for a tougher question. *evil grin*  If you could only write in one genre for the rest of your career, what genre would you choose?  

Alix: One genre for the rest of my career? Oh boy, that’s a doozey. Would I be able to hop around to different sub-genres? Because if I could do that, I’d be in heaven. *smile* If not, I guess I’d have to pick romance. Only for the reason I enjoy the interaction between couples. Whether they are already together and hit a rough patch, or they are just meeting for the first time. Human nature and reactions are interesting. Mostly because no one acts/reacts the same way toward the same things. Everyone is different and unique.

Bex: Not to make you choose and risk offending one of them, but which of the characters in your current release is your favorite? 

Alix: I have to say Jairo is my favorite. I LOVED writing him. Even when I ran into trouble getting what he wanted out, it was still fun writing his POV. For the most part he was/is very easy going and relaxed. Not a whole lot bothered him. Unless I wasn’t moving fast enough, or I hadn’t written the scene the way he wanted it to happen.

Bex: Are any of your characters modeled after real people?  If so, which ones? 

Alix: Many of my characters are modeled after real people. I find that helps greatly with the plot and storylines. It’s like sitting in on an audition. You have the idea and what you -as the creator/author- want to happen in your mind, and you have ‘people’ read for you. For me, once I have the hero (or heroine whichever comes first) I start on the heroine and keep going until the dynamics are what I want.

Joy and Jairo are both modeled after a couple I know personally. They graciously agreed to let me use them as characters for both Twin Flames: Soul Bound and Twin Flames: Soul Memory. They love the way the books turned out. Which I’m grateful for, using ‘real’ people for fictional people is challenging. However, Joy and Jairo are not actually them. Just certain points I borrowed from the real people.

Bex: What music was on your playlist while writing your novel? 

Alix: A mix. From something like Air Supply straight to ‘Poetry Girl’ by Neo Soul Sessions, along with Seal, Cheap Trick, Bad Company and Usher. Def Leppard, Nickelback, and My Darkest Days were sprinkled in for good measure. I have a playlist titled ‘Joy & Jairo’ it made it easier when I came across a song that fit them, or the situation between them. I used it for all three of their books, excuse me, *clears throat* the two books released, the third one hasn’t been accepted yet. Fingers crossed.

Bex: What is the one thing about the book publishing process that has surprised you the most? 

Alix: The friendliness of other authors. I was prepared for snarky and snippy published authors and have found many are just like me. And also many of whom have become very dear friends and who I respect and listen to. Let me explain the beginning…When I started writing to become published in 2008 I got my ass handed to me often and by writers who were published (don’t know with whom, just found their books on line). I took everything they said and implemented it into my work, ruining a couple of manuscripts along the way. Learning afterwards, that those authors/writers had done that to other newbies. So I was more cautious when I signed the contract, guess you could even say leery. However, like I said, I’ve found many who aren’t like that (most aren’t) and I’m glad to know them. Without some I think I’d have lost my mind learning the published world on the run. *chuckle*

Bex: What is next for you? Any new stories in the pipeline to tell us about? 

Alix: Hopefully, more stories about Twin Flames as well as other storylines that very well could cause people to turn their heads from my work. *smirk* I’m very open minded about things. As for new, I recently submitted the third book for Joy and Jairo and am waiting to hear back. If all goes well there are three others completed and ready for submission. Yes, following the line of Twin Flames.

Bex: Now it's time for a few fun questions. What is the oddest question you’ve been asked with respect to your book? 

Alix: How I came up with the idea to write about Twin Flames. At the time I didn’t think it was odd, until I had to answer the question. It’s not an easy one to respond to as most people don’t believe in the concept of two people being of one soul. See, even saying that, it makes your eyebrow arch. *smile*

Bex: Morning person or grumpy bear? 

Alix: I am not a morning person. Seriously, the earlier I have to get up the more ‘ugh’ I feel. *laugh* I can start my day at 10am and be happy, then again there are times when even then it’s too early. I’m more of a night person. I love the nighttime. It’s quiet and peaceful in a way you just don’t experience during the daytime. Although, mornings have their place too. Like mornings on the beach. I’ll be a morning person for the beach.

Bex: What group were you a part of in High School? Jocks? Nerds? Metal heads? 

Alix: I was called a ‘burn out’ although I didn’t do drugs, I was a partier. I enjoyed the next party like any teenager, who wouldn’t? A few people referred to me as a ‘floater’ because I could easily fit into any group I was around. Those I felt more comfortable with were the ‘burn outs’ or the ‘metal heads’, they were my friends.

Bex: Coke or Pepsi? 

Alix: Coke as bad as it is for you, it’s my addiction. Guess that’s better than drugs, huh?

Bex: If I were to look in your closet right now, would I find frills and lace or demin and tees? 

Alix: Denim and tees respectively. I do have lace though, but no frills. I’m not into frills and flowers.

My kinda girl *grins*. Now that we've gotten to know you a bit better, let's take a look at her latest release with Muse it Hot, TWIN FLAMES: SOUL MEMORY.

Twin Flames: Soul Memory
by Alix Richards

Genre: Erotic Romance, Paranormal

Release Date: Jan. 25, 2013

Blurb: An accident wipes away Joy Lyons-Morgan's memories, but she's haunted by visions and dreams of a man she loves unconditionally. How will she find him without even knowing who she is?

Jairo Silverthorne understands his and Joy's struggles over being Twin Flames. They mirror and magnify each other in everything, including positives and negatives. So, where is she and why can't she hear his need?

Separated and alone, can Twin Flames find their way back to each other with only soul memories to light their way?

BUY LINKS:

Author Bio: First a storyteller, Alix Richards didn’t get around to recording her stories on paper until she was ten. The creative worlds grew with time and experience in her imagination. Finding her own ‘twin flame’ inspired her to look again at those worlds and characters she’d set aside when life demanded her full attention. Between plotting, chatting writer friends off their balconies, love stories and meeting new people, Alix spends time with her family and friends, happy to share her real life with the ones who mean the most to her. She’s friendly, stubborn, and outspoken but still enjoys laughing and crying while reading a good book. She’s a romantic with a harsh realistic twist, because some things just don’t happen in everyday life. However, it doesn’t stop her from believing anything is possible. Alix would love to hear from you, alixrichards.souls@gmail.com


2 comments:

Kay Dee Royal said...

Hi Alix (big hugs) - I love reading about my friends in interviews - such a nice way to get to know you even better;)

So far, my favorite of your characters is Jairo also...although...Blake and Ceil are right up there:) Of course, not everyone has been introduced to them yet *wiggles brows*

Nice interview ladies - Bex, your amazing with those questions.

Alix Richards said...

The interview was fun. I really enjoyed it. :-)

Jairo is that kind of hero that just...shoot, even as the author I'm not sure how to describe him. *chuckle* Shhh, Kay Dee. They'll meet them soon. *wink*

She's right though, Bex, your questions were awesome! ;-) I didn't have to really 'think' to answer them. If you know what I mean. :-D

~Alix