Friday, June 18, 2010

Why I Chose Lighthouses!


My first book with Muse, The Lighthouse is set to release January 01, 2011. And some people have asked why I chose to set my story at a lighthouse. Well, several reasons really.


First and most important, I love lighthouses. I even collect little statuettes of them. I have one set up for the year and one set of holiday lighthouses for Christmas time.


Next, a lighthouse just seemed like the perfect setting for a ghost story. There are so many stories of strange things happening at lighthouses. Light keepers vanishing into thin air, weird sounds, strange lights on the water and so on. What better place to set up a tale of a ghost and of murder?


And lastly, well I just can't resist a location, real or fiction that screams paranormal story. And again, lighthouses say ghosts out loud.


I actually loved doing the research for this story. It wasn't work. I enjoyed every second I spent reading books on the history of lighthouses throughout the world. I wish I had a time machine and could go back and see the famous lighthouse of Alexandria before it was destroyed. That must have been something spectacular.


So, in the end, the reason I really chose to set my story at a lighthouse? Well, I just plain love them. And who knows what kind of story my muse will conjure up next. Maybe vampires, or dragons. We'll just have to wait and see.:-)

9 comments:

Lin said...

Well now I KNOW what her next story is going to be about because I get to read it while she's writing it. That's because I'm her Mom and its one of the multitude of advantages of living with her.

I got to read The Lighthouse too and her mastery at weaving this story rendered me speechless...okay an exaggeration, but not by much. I usually can figure out "who dun it", but not here; a sure sign of true creative genius. (I taught her everything she knows.*winkity wink*)

And now may I tell you about her next story. Come close, closer. Oh Barf, she just came back into the room and is giving me that snarky look that tells me she knows I am about to divulge her secrets, and dire things will befall upon my hapless head if I continue; children can be so disrespectful, so I guess I have to be satisfied with just telling you that I am eagerly awaiting every installment; it's THAT good.

Larion aka Larriane Wills said...

Careful, there is no wrath like an angry mother. ;-) you two sound as if you have a great relationship. that's speculator. Light House sounds like great too. I've read a blurb and am looking forward to more.

MuseItUp Publishing said...

I always love to see where inspiration comes from and it's fascinating how lighthouses spurred you on for this book.

And I agree with Larriane, be careful and don't piss off your mom. hehehehehe

Kat said...

Ahem why do I get the feeling I am being ganged up on? Mom, you may NOT talk about what I am working on. Lea, you already know what I'm working on but I'd rather everyone else be surprised thank you. And Larion, I'm glad you like the blurb. I can't wait for everyone to be able to read this. The Lighthouse means a lot to me. And the cover Delilah made is just spectacular.

Lin said...

This is Mom again, I just got my ears burned and not in a good way. Hey, you'd think she'd be delighted to know that I love her work enough to want to brag about it and climb up with my megaphone, well since I don't own a megaphone and my voice makes me sound like a five year old, I guess we'll have to get a huge PA system here, to boast about the wonderful words pouring out of the fruit of my...I know you are all expecting me to say looms and be cirumspect, but she didn't pop from any looms..she popped from me loins. But she threated to cut me off at the pass, and personally if I have to choose between boasting to you guys and contiuing to read her stories long before you all do, so long all you guys.

Okay Kat, have I slithered on my belly in apology enough? Can I please, please, please have the next installment of your work in promise. I'll even take out all the trash AND...where's my clothespin...forgive me nose...clean the litter box.

Kat said...

You do the trash already. She won't let me touch them at all. And she does the litter on occasion when I'm sick, like now. My mom is my best friend in the whole world. We may tease each other, but I love her dearly. She's my hero.

Lin said...

I love you too, Sweetie, so when can I have the next installment?

Roseanne Dowell said...

I also love lighthouses and my thoughts went the same as yours - what a better settig for a ghost story. You wrote yours, mine is still in the cooker. LOL I can't wait to read this one, although I'm sure my eyes will burn if it's anything like the last one I read. I have a feeling it is. VERY HOT!

Kat said...

Well Roseanne, it does have some very hot moments I admit.:-) But it's also a longer story than the one you just read.