Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Poem

Back in 1999 I wrote this poem. Mind you, I hate poetry and do not under any circumstances write it anymore. But this one was just so powerful it became a favorite. I warn you though, it's very dark and deals with harsh subject matter. So here it is and I hope you like it.

HEARTBEAT
by Kat Holmes
A heartbeat
A steady beating rhythm
A heartbeat
A sound in the night
A heartbeat
Adrenalin rushes
A heartbeat
Pounding fast as a drum
A heartbeat
A terror pervades
A heartbeat
Hell is visited
A heartbeat
The terror passes
A heartbeat
The nightmare leaves
A heartbeat
Slowing its pace
A heartbeat
Numbness sets in
A hertbeat
The terror will come again
A heartbeat
It's time to end it
A heartbeat
A face ashen in the mirror
A heartbeat
Weariness etched in the eyes
A heartbeat
Swallowing the pills whole
A heartbeat
Never again to be raped
A heartbeat
No longer does it pulse
A heartbeat
Now and Forever Still
Remember, I did warn you it was dark.

4 comments:

Lin said...

Words Dear Daughter...no matter how many years pass in between the times when I read this, I am never left without feeling the impact of your words to the very depths of my soul. I am proud of the woman you are and the incredible weaver of words you have become, and so very glad I never talked baby talk to you when you were little. Thank you for sharing the very best poem I have ever felt rocketing through me.

Lea said...

I loved the pacing of this. Although I am not a fan of poetry because I don't know its structure, this one pulled me in with its steady rhythm and ominous feel.

Nicely done!

Kat said...

Thanks Mom.

And thank you Lea. It's the only poem I have ever written that I actually felt was any good. I don't do poetry at all anymore. LOL

Roseanne Dowell said...

Wow, powerful. I'm not a big fan of poetry either, but this one kept me reading.